Friday, February 4, 2011

We Got Snow!!!!!!!

So the last time we actually got snow here in San Antonio was back in January 1986, when we received 14' inches. It was great! Now to give you an idea what happens in our city when we get bad weather, everything just shuts downs. I mean everything. Schools, businesses, highways, etc.

I got up at about 6:00am to determine if my nephew's school would be closed for the day, which it was. I was hoping that we also would get a Snow Day off from work too. I wanted to see how much actually accumulated over night so I got my furry babies up to take with me outside and let them potty at same time. I felt so bad because as soon as I opened the door they both rushed out and slide real bad. It took them a  minute to figure it out but eventually they got the hang of it. We got a little over an inch or so of beautiful fluffy snow but that's like 12 inches to us.  My inner child came out big time and all I wanted to do was play in it. I started spelling my name in the snow and taking pictures of my pup's paw prints. I even made a mini snowman(see photo below). My hubby and nephew came out for a little while too, but we are not used to 20' degree weather and it was damn cold.
I called boss man and with all the ice and snow we didn't have to immediately rush to work and would just keep on eye on the weather. So I went back to bed to get a few more hours of shut eye. Which was so stupid because the damn sun came out all bright and shiny and most of the pretty snow was already melting by the time I finally got my rear out of bed. So our Snow Day was short lived because our boss was headed into work and we had to rush to get ready to get there too. But dang it, we got snow!!!!!!



8 comments:

  1. Wow - you got a snow day for like an inch of the white stuff??? You are bigger wussies than we are my friend:) sorry it melted and ruined your play day, but at least you got the lie-in!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would completely understand if you have been to Texas girl. I'm not sure in the UK but I bet you guys get tons of the white fluffy stuff. He it's usually warm and sunny for the most part. So when we get crazy weather here, throw in ice and snow. Folks just don;t know how to drive in the stuff. Very dangerous here when that happens. I'm an insurance agent, so from the hours of 8-12 pm last night there were over 1500 reported car accidents. See

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah I know what you mean, they get tons (and I mean actually tons this year) in Scotland but we are a bunch of southern softies down here in England! I'm up for a snow day at the first flake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was just what thought bub .... An inch? Sorry Nikki only teasing you - I love snow! One of the things we both miss from the UK but we do get to ski here in the mountains during winter! Just nothing like a white snowy back yard! Wouldn't it have been cool over Xmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously our measly little inch is blizzard to us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won't tease you as I remember gettting out of school for an inch of snow or less when I lived in Louisiana. I totally thought your minature snowman was a snow squirrel... very cute... btw.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the snow while it lasted. It is a beautiful thing. I am a bit tired of shoveling it, though. I don't even mind the normal shoveling... it's after the plows come by and create a wall of hard, impacted snow at the end of your driveway. Just finished digging ourselves out. Took over an hour. Sheesh. Need to run errands now and get groceries before we get dumped on again. It's a cycle I'm getting used to. Still, I can't complain... this has been a relatively mild winter for us --- so far. And if you believe in the mystical powers of groundhogs & their shadows, then we are do for an early spring.

    Anyone know the stats on how often Punxsutawney Phil gets it right? (AC ? Anyone?)

    In anycase... glad you enjoyed your snow day and your blizzard... speaking of... I may treat myself to a DQ Blizzard for all my shoveling. Yes, in Michigan... we eat ice cream even in the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always time for ice-cream, I get weird looks at the check-out but I don't care! Rocky Road tonight with red wine of course ;)

    ReplyDelete